Welcome back to ClubCorp’s Firestone Country Club for the World Golf Championships - Bridgestone Invitational! The Club is serving as the site of the tournament for the 15th year and 2014 not only marks the 61st consecutive year of professional tournament golf at the Firestone, but the Club also unveiled an exciting multimillion-dollar reinvention!
This year 76 players, including defending champion and eight-time winner Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy, Phil Mickelson, Adam Scott, Sergio Garcia and Jordan Spieth (playing the Bridgestone Invitational for the first time) are slated to take on the illustrious South Course – also known as “The Monster” – and compete for the $9 million purse. Best of luck to all the players!
Firestone is home to 54 holes of challenging, world-class golf among three private courses – the North, South and West Courses. Improvements from the Club’s recent multimillion-dollar reinvention include:
- New warm and welcoming lobby and reception area
- Updated 1929 Grille with contemporary décor featuring a new full bar, casual dining, TVs throughout and stunning golf course views
- Redefined private event and meeting spaces
- New outdoor patios featuring fire pits and à la carte dining
We look forward to welcoming competitors, tournament guests and Members to this year’s World Golf Championships - Bridgestone Invitational. See you at the tournament!
From January 1st to today, 2013 has been a great year for ClubCorp! For our final blog post of the year, we wanted to highlight 13 great events that happened this past year.
7) Avid Golfer magazine recognized 12 ClubCorp clubs in its "2013 Best of The Private Clubs" list: Stonebriar Country Club, Gleneagles Country Club, Timarron Country Club, Las Colinas Country Club, Stonebridge Ranch Country Club, Trophy Club Country Club, Brookhaven Country Club, Hackberry Creek Country Club, Canyon Creek Country Club, Walnut Creek Country Club, Oakmont Country Club and Shady Valley Golf Club.
8) Gainey Ranch Golf Club raised more than $110,000 for the Yarnell community and the Granite Mountain HotShots to benefit the families of the fallen.
See you next year!
The 3-day long Bridgestone Invitational took place last week from Thursday till Saturday, however it may as well have been over Friday afternoon. Tiger Woods shot a record-tying 61 on Friday, leaving the other players to essentially fight for second place on Saturday. Woods finished with a -15 under 265, leading Keegan Bradley and Henrik Stenson by seven strokes. The victory marks Woods' eighth Bridgestone Invitational title, which is more times than Rory McIlroy, Luke Donald, Brandt Snedeker, and Matt Kuchar have won total tournaments on the PGA tour.
"I don't know what it is. It just fits my eye, I've felt comfortable here. For some reason it just comes out and I put it together." Woods put up 19 birdies and one eagle to five bogeys in the tournament. This win also marks his 79th PGA Tour victory.
Watch the highlights from Woods' second round on Friday below.
We are only one day away from the start of the Bridgestone Invitational! As you gear up for the event, have you ever wondered how the players qualify to play?
Eligible players are:
- Playing members of the 2012 U.S. and European Ryder Cup teams. NOTE: In even-numbered years, playing members of the last-named U.S. and International Presidents Cup teams shall replace the last-named Ryder Cup teams.
- The top-50 players, including any tied for 50th place, from the Official World Golf Ranking as of Monday, July 22, 2013, and Monday, July 29, 2013.
- Tournament winners, whose victories are considered official, of tournaments from the Federation Tours since the prior year's Bridgestone Invitational (with an Official World Golf Ranking Strength of Field Rating of 115 points or more).
- The winner of the following tournaments from each of the following Tours: Japan Golf Tour Championship (2013) and Bridgestone Open (2012) from the Japan Golf Tour; Australian PGA Championship (2012) from the Australasian Tour; Dimension Data Pro-Am (2013) from the Southern Africa Tour; and Thailand Golf Championship (2012) from the Asian Tour.
74 players are eligible for the premier golf event, however one man chose to set golf aside as he and his wife celebrate the wonderful gift of new life. Hunter Mahan announced his withdrawal from the tournament Monday following the birth of his first child, Zoe.
“I have elected to officially withdraw myself from the World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational so that I can take the opportunity to spend this precious first week at home with Zoe,” he said in a statement. “I would like to thank the PGA Tour for supporting my decision not to play this week."
One of the most exciting events in golf is getting closer, sports fans. From August 1-4, Firestone Country Club in Akron, OH will host the Bridgestone Invitational. The event will showcase a pool of elite golfers from around the world while benefitting a great cause. 75% of the proceeds will go to the Ronald McDonald House of Cleveland, making this tournament not only a treat to watch but a great way to make an impact in the lives of children everywhere.
Firestone is home to three courses, all of which stand out amongst the most prestigious in the country. The Invitational will take place on the par 70 South course which features 7,283 yards of shear beauty. This course was designed by the world famous Robert Trent Jones, Sr. Jones designed roughly 500 courses in 45 states and 35 different countries.
An American has won the tournament 10 times since 1999, with Tiger Woods contributing with a mere 7 victories. Will Keegan Bradley defend his title from 2012? Why not attend the event yourself and find out?