For those of you up north, try for a second to ignore the winter storms you're enduring and let your mind wander to a more peaceful place. Spring is near, which means you'll be able to hit the course for a round of golf before you know it!
Chances are if you're a golf lover, you're familiar with Firestone Country Club in Akron, OH. This club has hosted many PGA tournaments over its lifetime, most recently the annual Bridgestone Invitational. PGATour.com put together a video of the 10 best shots in the history of Firestone from some of the greatest who have played the game, and we think they nailed it.
Check out the video above and enjoy!
We are only one day away from the start of the Bridgestone Invitational! As you gear up for the event, have you ever wondered how the players qualify to play?
Eligible players are:
- Playing members of the 2012 U.S. and European Ryder Cup teams. NOTE: In even-numbered years, playing members of the last-named U.S. and International Presidents Cup teams shall replace the last-named Ryder Cup teams.
- The top-50 players, including any tied for 50th place, from the Official World Golf Ranking as of Monday, July 22, 2013, and Monday, July 29, 2013.
- Tournament winners, whose victories are considered official, of tournaments from the Federation Tours since the prior year's Bridgestone Invitational (with an Official World Golf Ranking Strength of Field Rating of 115 points or more).
- The winner of the following tournaments from each of the following Tours: Japan Golf Tour Championship (2013) and Bridgestone Open (2012) from the Japan Golf Tour; Australian PGA Championship (2012) from the Australasian Tour; Dimension Data Pro-Am (2013) from the Southern Africa Tour; and Thailand Golf Championship (2012) from the Asian Tour.
74 players are eligible for the premier golf event, however one man chose to set golf aside as he and his wife celebrate the wonderful gift of new life. Hunter Mahan announced his withdrawal from the tournament Monday following the birth of his first child, Zoe.
“I have elected to officially withdraw myself from the World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational so that I can take the opportunity to spend this precious first week at home with Zoe,” he said in a statement. “I would like to thank the PGA Tour for supporting my decision not to play this week."
Official play begins today in the World Golf Championships – Bridgestone Invitational at Firestone Country Club in Akron, Ohio. Players slated to play include Tiger Woods – who has already won the tournament seven times – Ernie Els, Bubba Watson, Phil Mickelson and defending champion Adam Scott.
Firestone Country Club has served as the site of the tournament since 1976. The tournament was originally called the World Series of Golf (1976-1998). In 1999, it became an official World Golf Championships event.
Firestone Country Club is home to a rich golf history. In 1915, Harvey Firestone purchased 1,000 acres of farmland south of the Firestone Tire and Rubber Company factory as part of a plan to provide his employees and their families’ houses, schools, churches, a public park – all within proximity to work. He commissioned his landscape architect, Alling DeForest, to design a community. DeForest created the community around a public park shaped like the original Firestone emblem.
Today, the entire community is considered a historic landmark along with its Firestone Country Club, Firestone Stadium and Harvey S. Firestone Memorial Park.
Firestone's Rich Golf History:
- In 2010, the club marks its 57th consecutive year of tournament golf.
- Firestone is the only club to have hosted three nationally televised professional events in one year – 1974.
- Firestone has hosted three PGA Championships and is currently the home of the World Golf Championships – Bridgestone Invitational.