In the years before Granite Bay Golf Club was built, the area hosted the Maidu Indians and was used for cattle and sheep grazing. In 1963, Henry Moss bought the land as an investment and future residential development. The development was never built, and in 1983, Moss sold the property to George Dunmore.
Dunmore started a Sacramento-based home building business in 1952 and, by the time he purchased the 180-acre parcel, he had created a very sizable and successful enterprise. His concept was to design an 18-hole golf course surrounded by about 170 homes on both sides of the parkway. For the next five or six years, he hired a half-dozen golf course planners, designers and architects to create routing plans for the course and plot plans for the home sites. Although Dunmore had several golf course plans to choose from, for one reason or another, his plans lay dormant.
By the summer of 1991, Dave Cook, Mark Parsinen and Dan Reiner joined Dunmore as partners in the project. Mark Parsinen wanted to create a golf course that reflected everything grand and noble about the classic golf courses built in the 1920's and 30's. When the course and the clubhouse were finally completed, he wanted everyone who came to Granite Bay to believe the Club had been there for 50 or 60 years. All this eventually evolved into Parsinen's credo for Granite Bay. . ."golf as it should be."
After interviewing several well-respected architectural and design firms, the decision was made to retain the services of the Robert Trent Jones II firm with Kyle Phillips as the lead designer. After the course and clubhouse were carefully designed, work began in August, 1993. The first nine-hole round of golf was played on the back nine on October 7, 1994. The front nine opened for play a month later, and the clubhouse opened in January, 1995. That year, Golf Week Magazine listed Granite Bay Golf Club in their “Top 100 Modern-day Courses in the Country.“ ClubCorp later purchased the controlling interest from Dan Reiner.
Today, Granite Bay Golf Club is unique among golf clubs in Northern California. It is the only Audubon Signature Sanctuary course in Granite Bay, and one of only 64 in the world.