History

Oro Valley Country Club Golf

Lou Landon, a man with a vision, vacationed in the Tucson area in the early 1950's and was taken with the thought that there was a real need for an additional golf course in the northern portion of Pima County.  At that time there were only three golf courses serving a population of about 250,000 people.

Robert Bruce Harris, noted golf course architect, was commissioned to design a championship golf course to be built on the property selected by the Landon group.  A construction contract was signed on July 28, 1958, calling for a completion date by December 28, 1958, and was delivered to Oro Valley Inc. exactly on time.

Oro Valley Country Club Inc. was formed in June 1959.  Actual member ownership of the Club was not accomplished until February 15, 1961, when the Club was purchased by its members from Oro Valley Inc. for $1,600,000.  The purchase included the golf course, clubhouse, pro shop, swimming pool, 235 home sites and the Oro Valley Water Company franchise.

Renovation of the entire golf course was undertaken in the summer of 1987, using revised design work provided be Keith Foster of the Arthur Hill Company.  Great significance in the redesign was the digging of the retention lake that runs down the left side of the 18th fairway.  The combination of the lake and waterfall with the Pusch Ridge section of the Santa Catalina Mountains backdrop, created our signature hole, widely noted as one of the best finishing holes in Arizona.

On September 9, 2006 the new 28,000 sq ft clubhouse was designed to be a campus-style complex with three different buildings surrounding the 9th green of the golf course, connected by a circular covered walkway. With expansive views of the mountains and golf course, the Clubhouse contains over 6000 sq ft of additional covered outdoor space.

The central building is the main clubhouse, which includes a beautiful 3200 sq ft ballroom, a separate grill room, card room for men and women, the Board room, the administrative offices and a world class kitchen. The grand entrance to the clubhouse captures vistas in all directions. The second building contains the pro shop, locker rooms and below-level car storage. The third building is fully –equipped with a modern fitness center. 

The clubhouse complex was designed by Seaver-Franks Architects of Tucson Arizona and was built by TL Roof, Inc. of Tucson.